Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Dressmakers

Another question I get a lot is: Who should I get my dress made from?

This is a personal preference. Each dressmaker offers something unique. Cost clearly has a huge part in it; each dress maker has its own price range and one can order rhinestones for an additional cost. Some dress makers allow you to customize your design but this also depends on your dance school. Some schools only allow the teachers to design the dress with the dress maker and some dance schools will only allow their students to get dresses from certain dress makers.

If you're looking to get a custom made dress there is a lot that goes into it. You'll need to talk to your teachers, parents, and do research to make sure you're happy with your result.

Steps to order:
1. Contact/ research several dress makers to get an estimate and to find who truly will make you happy.
2. Measuring/ Dress Fitting- usually teachers will handle this since each dress maker has their own form they would like filled out.
3. Patiently wait for your dress to be made. Sometimes a dress maker will send you a proof of your dress.
4. You will give the dress maker a deadline for the dress and your dress will arrive in a giant box on your doorstep. This will be one of the most exciting days of your life!

Gavin Doherty is a popular dress maker so I have included a small documentary on him.

My current dance dress is made by Siopa Rince in Ireland. She was lovely to work with; she skipped me several times for dress fittings while I was away at school and did everything I wanted and more.  My mom, dance teachers, and I designed everything about my dress and truly tried to make it elegant, timeless, and age appropriate yet stunning. 


I absolutely love my dress and it has brought me a ton of luck! It'll be weird to sell my dress after worlds. I hope it brings the next owner just as much joy as it has for me. 

3 comments:

  1. Caroline your dress is so pretty! I love it! I think it's awesome you can give such great advice on all things Irish dance! I'll have to see a video of you performing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks kelsey! :) I try to give the best advice from my own personal experiences! I think I will posta video soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Irish Dance Augusta

    ReplyDelete