Sunday, March 6, 2016

A Typical St. Paddy's Day

A huge question I always get is, what is it like to be an Irish Dancer around St. Paddy's Day?

I can tell you it's very interesting... I am going to list some of the experiences I've had...

  • You'll have countless drunks asking you to do a jig and asking if the curls are real?
  • You'll have countless drunks cheering for you when they see you in costume/wig
  • You'll have beer spilled on you
  • You'll be able to enter bars at a young age because you're there for the entertainment
  • You'll get to walk in the notorious parade and be featured in all sorts of media- TV, newspapers, etc.
  • You'll travel from show to show- St. Paddy's Day shows start around the end of February and go until the end of March. It's common to miss days of school because you're dancing on the news or at private shows. 
  • Be prepared for long days- You'll go from show to show (literally). You won't have time to eat and there have been days I had a show at 8 AM and went until 1 AM the following morning.
  • You'll experience things people never will- Being in the North Side Chicago Parade, being featured on certain news segments, and dancing for private parties including Mayor Daley.

It seems crazy, but I wouldn't redo anything about St. Paddy's Day Season. Nothing is better than experiencing the moments I did with my family, friends, and teachers. I wouldn't trade it for the world. If you're lucky enough to be Irish, then you're lucky enough! 



3 comments:

  1. That's got to be the coolest experience. Do you still dance? If not, why did you stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I still dance! I am competition at the World Championships next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. Irish Tap Dancing Lessons

    ReplyDelete