Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Everything Comes to an End

The biggest question I get is: Why are you quitting? Usually I just shrug my shoulders and say it's time but there's a real reason as to why.

1. My body can't do it anymore. I have to stretch 3x more than the average dancer, I have to train 3x harder, and my feet just can't handle it anymore. I've had multiple injuries from pulled muscles, stress fractures, sprains, and plantar fasciitis. The harder I train, the harder it is on my body and my body is telling me it's over. After dance practices I am in pain, sometimes it's hard to walk.

2. I outgrew it. There was a time in my life that I love putting on the wig, makeup, tanner, sparkles, etc. but now I just don't look forward to it. I enjoy some parts since it's part of the sport, but mostly I think it's ridiculous.

3. I've accomplished all my goals. I set high goals for myself, and they took me years to achieve, but once I finally achieved them I lost motivation. I knew it was time to quit when I looked back on my career and didn't have any regrets. There wasn't a single time where I thought I wish I could've done better.

4. Graduation is coming in 3 short months and dance just doesn't fit in with my life anymore. I've noticed through my several internships that having a job and dancing is a lot harder than dancing while in school.

Even though it's common to dance past the age of 21, I am happy I am quitting. I've had the greatest memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Even though I am quitting my competitive dance career  after Worlds in March, I know there is more for me out there; I will be taking my teaching certification exam in May 2016 and going from there. I will always love Irish Dance and am so thankful I have had the experiences that I did; I look forward to what the future will bring!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is such a unique interest for someone to take up and definitely something you'll be able to talk about for the rest of your life. It makes sense why you're quitting but I feel like you'll never fully "quit" something you've been so committed to.

    P.S. You should post some pictures and videos for us to see! :)

    ReplyDelete