Sunday, February 7, 2016

Relax

Diets are very common in the competitive Irish Dance world, as well as other sports, but I think they are more harmful than good. "Dieting" is very damaging to a persons mental health and one must be careful how they phrase eating habits to younger dancers. Telling a 7 year old that Nationals is in a few short months and you shouldn't be eating ice cream or drinking soda is detrimental to their mental health in my opinion. Eating junk food is normal; that's something we should do. I am not saying go overboard on the junk food but if you want an ice cream cone...get it; it's not going to keep you from placing, which sadly many people believe.

I have never been put on any form of diet thanks to my parents. My mom has always been an active dance mom and was aware of dieting in the dance world, which is why she made sure to keep me from it. Sadly, dancers look at top dancers who naturally have long skinny legs and want to be just like them (I don't think our media helps) but parents need to be more aware of it. There are several top dancers, even world champions who have different builds than the tall girls, and that is healthy. Everyone is built differently, and that's what makes them beautiful, unique, and fun to watch.

I have a different build than most dancers. I am short compared to most of my group and have more of a muscular build, but that doesn't mean I am any worse of a dancer than the taller girls. In some ways it made me work harder and get noticed. I had to find the dance styles that looked best on me and showcased my talents. I've placed 5th at regionals while eating McDonalds when I wanted to, ice cream when I wanted to, and many more delicious meals. It's possible to be successful and be a normal kid/teenager.

I also wish more dancers realized it's okay to have a life outside of dance. I love dance, I love competing, I love practicing, I love the friends I have made, I love traveling the world, and like most I love seeing results. Everyone practices, everyone wants to get better, but try not to miss out on things like Prom, Clubs, joining a sorority, and many more opportunities because of dance. Coming to college I set of goal of qualifying for worlds and I was hesitant about getting involved on campus because of my dance training. In high school I was a variety soccer player, and a member of several clubs and organizations all while dancing so I thought College could be the same. I joined a sorority, made friends that will last a lifetime, held several positions within my chapter, and joined organizations on campus all while still training heavily for Regionals, Nationals, and the World Championships.

Mainly what I am trying to say is that it's all about balance. Go to the birthday dinner your friend invited you to. If you were going to practice that day move your practice to another day, but make sure you follow through with it. You can still have fun outside of dance while still working and training hard. It's important to remember that dance like other sports isn't just about the competitive aspect. It's about the friends you meet and the places you had the opportunity to travel to. When I look back, I am not going to remember what place I got at the All-Ireland's in 2012; I am going to remember traveling to Ireland and sightseeing with my grandma and mom while meeting up with old friends. When I look back on my college years I am not going to remember when I practiced/how I trained, I am going to remember my friends cheering me on and all the memories I made at Bradley. Those are the memories that matter the most so don't miss out them just take a deep breath and balance your schedule; I promise you it'll be worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment